Chemical Dependency Assessment

For a DUI conviction, both RCW 46.61.5055 and RCW 46.61.5056 require a person to obtain a chemical dependency assessment, follow through with the recommended treatment, and complete a DUI Victim’s Impact Panel. While the statute only requires this for DUI and Physical Control convictions, essentially, every judge in the State will also require it for reduced charges, such as Reckless Driving and Negligent Driving in the First Degree. So there is no way around this unless your case is completely dismissed.

The Chemical Dependency Assessment will take into account the police reports, your criminal history (both in and out of Washington State), and require you to submit to a urine screening (UA). The evaluator will also ask you a series of questions about your history of drug and alcohol use.

The minimum amount of treatment that can be recommended is an eight hour Alcohol Drug Information School class (ADIS class). The maximum amount of treatment is a two year deferred prosecution. If you are convicted of DUI or Physical Control, you will need to have your treatment provider submit a Assessment/Treatment Report for DSHS Certified Agencies to DOL. If you do not, you will not be able to reinstate your license after the suspension.

Feel free to contact me for a list of treatment centers and evaluators in the greater Seattle area.

Up next, the arraignment hearing.

Go back to should you request a Department of Licensing (DOL) hearing?